Build: Zippy the Wonderbug

Yak about stuff. Just stuff.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

Re: Build: Zippy the Wonderbug

schwim wrote: May 20th, 2023, 5:54 pm
Super_Randy wrote: May 20th, 2023, 5:40 pm your meager understanding is correct.
What's your thoughts on running an 8v battery and adjusting the regulator?

No relay yet. PO had put a new harness in right before I got it.
if my meager understanding of charging systems is correct you need a voltage higher than the battery to charge it. meaning your 6v generator won't charge the 8v battery. that might be where adjusting the voltage regulator would come in, i don't fully know.
also don't know if you'd have to step down the ignition system to keep from feeding 8v to a 6v coil and points or any other electrics in the car (windshield wipers and radio for example). 8v through a 6v radio is probably not a good idea.

you could try searching a hot rod forum like The H.A.M.B. im sure people over there have done it. or at least know more than me.
you never learn nothin by mistake if you're to careful
schwim
Site Admin

Super_Randy wrote: May 20th, 2023, 7:36 pm you could try searching a hot rod forum like The H.A.M.B. im sure people over there have done it. or at least know more than me.
I was reading a thread on it on the hamb earlier this week. They seem to be of the mind that adjusting the regulator will allow a 6v generator to charge an 8v battery. I guess because unmetered it already charges above 6v and the regulator chokes it down.

A volt-a-drop would probably be necessary for something like a radio but I don't think the coil would balk at that.

12v, however, would cook it so I'm trying to figure out how to test run the engine with a bad battery. I'm going to run the starter on 12v for the test and I'm going to see if the 6v battery has enough nuts to power the coil for just a fire-off.

I wrote Optima since they say it's a 36 month no-questions replacement warranty so I think I'm ok in that regard. Which is nice because batteries have gone up more than 75 dollars across the board in the two years since I purchased it.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

hole up. you running one of those 3 pack dry cell optima's? dude iv never heard a good thing about those (6 or 12 volt). they seem to be junk with low amperage and a low life cycle. and like $100 of the price is the name. if that battery is having problems you would be better off just getting a battery from O'Reilly or Napa.
schwim
Site Admin

Super_Randy wrote: May 20th, 2023, 8:47 pm hole up. you running one of those 3 pack dry cell optima's? dude iv never heard a good thing about those (6 or 12 volt). they seem to be junk with low amperage and a low life cycle. and like $100 of the price is the name. if that battery is having problems you would be better off just getting a battery from O'Reilly or Napa.
I really liked the size of it when I got it, I've never owned one before so can't say anything about them firsthand. I don't blame it for dying on me two years on a shelf without a single charge cycle. If they give me a free one, I'll give it a shot, if not, I'll purchase something locally.
schwim
Site Admin

Today, we segregate!

Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

i see you've segregated the shock towers and beam as well :lol:

and sense when do you have a lift?
schwim
Site Admin

Super_Randy wrote: May 25th, 2023, 8:13 pm i see you've segregated the shock towers and beam as well :lol:
I've not decided what to do concerning them yet. Since the entire front clip is wrecked, rusted and tweaked, It wouldn't be a sin to cut out the inner wells and just fab up some towers inside the trunk space. With the beam as narrow as it is, they won't fit in the traditional space.
Super_Randy wrote: May 25th, 2023, 8:13 pm and sense when do you have a lift?
Came with the house but I don't fault you for not remembering that since it was about two years ago now :)
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

how narrows the beam?

and now i can see why you went through the trouble of installing the water filter system :lol:
Maddel

Cool update, really enjoyed the pics! 8-)
schwim
Site Admin

An historic event has occurred. Sound the horns!