the never ending project. 71 super build

Yak about stuff. Just stuff.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

Re: the never ending project. 71 super build

its not making Bug-In tomorrow. the low idle issue has actually gotten worse. iv also noticed that volt gauge is now reading under 12v at any RPM under about 1200. and even when reved up to over 3000 is barely over 12v. so im pretty sure my generator is giving up the ghost (it's also intermittently makes a "scrubbing" sound). i have plans to install an alternator anyways, and i even already have one (hopefully it's good). but i don't have a stand for it.

also decided screw it, i might as well throw a rebuilt kit at the carb. so much for laziness huh?
you never learn nothin by mistake if you're to careful
Maddel

Super_Randy wrote: June 17th, 2023, 3:33 pmits not making Bug-In tomorrow...
That's a bummer! :(
Super_Randy wrote: June 17th, 2023, 3:33 pm... the low idle issue has actually gotten worse ... i might as well throw a rebuilt kit at the carb...
In the pic below I noticed that the little hole in the throttle flap is soldered shut.
It seems this carb was (heavily) modified. May be to work better with a 009.

Some info here. No idea if the stuff provided there is useful. I'm no 34 PICT expert and never liked this carb.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... p?t=365762
Super_Randy wrote: December 17th, 2022, 9:37 pm Image
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

filling in the hole is a trick to make the carb work with an 009 distributor. that hole is basically a vacuum leak to an 009. but im not running an 009 anymore, so i wonder... you might be an accidental genus. im still throwing a rebuild kit at it and ill make sure nothings clogged, but i wonder if i need to open that hole back up?
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

alright, iv done some testing. pretty sure the generator is dyeing a slow death.

i charged the battery this morning, it was down to 12.2 volts. which i guess isn't really low, but i charged it for an hour and a half or so anyway, got it back to 12.6 volts which if memory serves me is what a battery is supposed to be "at rest".

got the car started and managed to make it hold about 800 - 900rpm and reset the timing (i had screwed that up a couple weeks ago screwing with it).

tested the powering coming off the generator with a multimeter and low and behold, it maxed out at under 13.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

carb cleaner, solvent (safety kleen), carb rebuild kit and fuel filter acquired. garage conditions pending (if it's humid AF, im probably not getting much done) ill rebuild the carb over the weekend. then maybe, just maybe that sumbitch will take a tune.

and if it doesn't, i guess i won't be redoing the seats, ill be buying duel 40 IDF's. cause i have until the end of October to make it to drag day.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

carb rebuild has commenced. tore it down and am soaking it in solvent over night. will spray everything out real good and reassemble tomorrow (garage temp/humidity, and mosquito level pending)
if i can remember to slow my roll ill try to snap a few quick pic's.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

straight out of the solvent tank

top half rebuilt

fully rebuilt and installed. plus new fuel filter. waiting for gas vapors to dissipate before i start it.

the only thing i found that was fishy was the idle jet seemed partially clogged. so that would explain why it wouldn't idle.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

ok, just fired it. it idles a hair over 800rpm at default carb settings after it warms up. it feels a little "soggy" off idle, could be a timing issue. idk. it's 85 degrees with 50+% humidity and i have no shade so ill mess with it more later
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

so i reset the timing. attempt to adjust the accelerator pump and stripped the threads on the arm and jacked up the bolt. so i grind the protruding threads off the arm, rob the bolt off my old carb, find a nut that fits the bolt (shockingly i actually had one). attempt to put the bolt through the accelerator pump arms, and drop the F'ing thing. i heard it hit engine tin. can't find the F'ing thing. so i slammed the decklid shut and am calling it a day.

also, judging by the fullness of the fuel filter iv got a bit to much fuel pressure. so iv gotta stack some gaskets under there tomorrow.

to add injury to insult, there's also a rather large asian tiger mosquito after me. and the bites from those things are next level suck! painful welts that itch like all hell.
Maddel

Seems you're getting closer.
Fingers crossed you'll recover that bolt.
If at hand may be try a telescopic magnet pen to scan the engine bay.

As for the mosquitos...
Have you ever tried one of these electronic zappers?
I ran one many years ago but with poor results.