the never ending project. 71 super build

Yak about stuff. Just stuff.
schwim
Site Admin

Re: the never ending project. 71 super build

I'm definitely not savvy enough to tune a carburetor without the help of AFR. I can handle timing without assistance like a light but I can't tune a carb for shit without a gauge to help.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

after some thought i did some digging. a few "diagnostic tests" later and i have reason to believe the intake manifolds are leaking where they bolt to the head. spray carb cleaner in there and the RPM seems to change slightly with a noticeable level off.
also picked up new sparkplugs last week.
but frankly, yesterday i put a pretty a good half round cut on the side of my right index finger right on the end knuckle (oozed blood for like 9 hours) which is going to make doing any work absolute suck. so idk what im doing this weekend. sucks to, the weather is actually halfway decent. 70 degrees with 71% humidity. dew point if 57. so it's not bad if you're attempting to keep things at an even keel.
you never learn nothin by mistake if you're to careful
schwim
Site Admin

I'm not joking, I have always kept a bottle of superglue for cuts big and small. Seals the cut right away and it's durable as hell. I've used it ever since the corpsman sealed me up with some in the military. It works pretty great.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

iv done that lot of times over the last 25 years. i heard super glue was accidently created by a guy trying to invent "liquid skin". but do to this cut being rather deep and on a joint, it would just crank and i would bleed all over everything. not to mention it would still be rather tender. iv bumped and banged it on stuff all weekend and cuss every stinking time.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

alright new spark plugs are in, i can't get the damn #4 plug wire to snap on. the ghetto way iv got the coil mounted is preventing me form getting any leverage. ill deal with it tomorrow, im pissed off, i had to fight off mosquito's while i changed the plugs. damn those blood sucking bastards are vicious.

im seriously wondering if the idle speed screw is still out of whack. it wont adjust via the directions in the manual. im seriously thinking i should just set the volume control and bypass screws to base setting and then just crank the idle screw in until the damn car idles at 850rpm. then try adjusting it.
also wondering if the accelerator pump is spitting bubbles. :? which reminds me, i need to reset it back to 0.

weather, mosquito's, and motivation pending ill mess with it some more tomorrow.
Maddel

At times I'm a bit envious of you guys there in CA.
But then gave it a second thought when reading how bad you consistently cuss out these mosquitos. :)
And I salute you for your seemingly endless patience & endurance with this "balky" carb.
I would have trashed that thing ages ago. :D
Good luck with that bypass screw Sir.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

you think i rant about mosquitos you should hear me about our politicians :P

the carb should be good. i bought it used from a reputable source who took it off a perfectly running bus cause the owner wanted duel carbs. and i had it on my old engine and it seemed to work ok. the issues i had back then was that the long block was junk. the carb actually worked fine.

im also still wondering if the problem isn't the carb, that it's the ignition system not having enough power cause of the who knows how old generator not cranking out enough juice.

im very close to snapping and just ripping the generator off and replacing it with an alternator and ripping the single carb off and replacing it with duel webers and an electric fuel pump. iv spent so much time and energy seemingly for nothing that its starting to feel like im trying to make chicken soup out of chicken shit. i was hoping to have it running reliably 4 months ago and be redoing my seats right now. :x
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

alright, finally got the damn #4 spark plug wire snapped on. so the plug job is finished.
figured what the hell. popped the valve coves off and checked the valve lash. 4 that were way to tight. 2 that were a little to tight. and 2 that were spot on. so i gapped the valves.
also reset the accelerator pump to 0.
it does idle smoother. but it still wants to idle at like 500rpm :roll:

idk, ill double check the timing tomorrow. maybe try smacking the carb with a rubber mallet, try old the "old guy trick" (put your hand over the carb with the engine running so suck out any debris). look for vacuum leaks. maybe take it off and throw it at the wall. idk.

CIP1 has a no name 34 pict 3 for $90 that i am trying to talk myself out of buying. i mean hell it can't be any worse right?
Maddel

All German but may be helpful. Loads of specs...
https://www.ruddies-berlin.de/solexPICT.htm
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

hi, im your host Frustrated Ass Randy. and on todays show of WTF is Going On we have a 34 pict 3 that now idles at 850rpm with the base tune on the carb after taking out the idle jet, blasting it out with carb cleaner and attempting to blast out the hole it goes in with carb cleaner. seems to respond to tuning although not well. but still coughs out the carb when giving it gas from an idle. if you roll in slow it'll rev up fine. if you hold it at any kind of RPM (about 2000+) for any length of time it doesn't want to come down. it drops to around 1200rpm and hangs there for a second, then drops down to around 1000rpm and hangs there for a second, then drops down to 850rpm.

it also appears the accelerator pump may have a dead spot just off idle .

and if you spray highly flammable carb cleaner down the carb when the engine is idling, yeah, it dies. :?

so as of right now i seem to have fixed one issue and gained another. progress i guess? ...maybe...