the never ending project. 71 super build

Yak about stuff. Just stuff.
Maddel

Re: the never ending project. 71 super build

Does the kit contain backing blades?
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

nope. i could probably fab something up, but meh... it's literally all Karmann Ghia parts, don't think those had a backing plate ether. but i could be wrong.
you never learn nothin by mistake if you're to careful
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

drivers side is done (aside from being bled)

also installed the camber kit
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

alright, passenger side done. need to grind a frog hair off the caliper for wheel clearance (it clears but is to close for comfort)

got the camber in the ballpark. according to the digital angel finder i barrowed form work the car is jacked up level so i just put the angel finder the brake disc and turned the bolds until i had 89.9 degrees which means i have .1 degree of negative camber at full droop. (i will check it again with the car on the ground, but not today)
also broke out the tape measure and checked the toe. it's almost 2" toe in. so yeah... going to have to do something about that. not looking forward to that.

still have to put the passenger side rear brake back together. check the wheel cylinder one last time. torque the drum nut, adjust the brakes, and then bleed the whole system. not looking forward to that ether.

should probably change the oil. i still have the break in oil in it. which reminds me i need to buy oil. i have the zink additive already.

Bug-In is June 18th. i might just make it
schwim
Site Admin

Super_Randy wrote: May 21st, 2023, 8:39 pm Bug-In is June 18th. i might just make it
Fingers crossed for you man.
Maddel

schwim wrote: May 21st, 2023, 9:59 pm
Super_Randy wrote: May 21st, 2023, 8:39 pm Bug-In is June 18th. i might just make it
Fingers crossed for you man.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

alright, i put the passenger side rear brake back together and adjusted both sides yesterday after work.

and today i got front toe "set", or at least better than it was. iv got a hair over a 1/16th of an inch of toe in with the car on jack stands. don't have the capability of checking it (or i should say adjusting it) on the ground at the moment. steering wheel is relatively straight. not sure i can get it any better, one tie rod is bent and the other i had to pop the ball joint out of the spindle cause i couldn't get the damn jamb nut loose cause rust. all that stuff is getting replaced sooner than later anyways. i want to go through the entire front end. maybe end of summer or something. idk. next project is going to be the seats.

tomorrow ill see about bleeding the brakes, i actually remembered to pick up some brake fluid yesterday. after that i think it's driveable :shock:
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

alright brakes appear to be bled. ill check them again in a few hours. but as of right now im not getting any air out of the bleeders and all 4 wheels lock up (when spun by hand) when you press the peddle. iv got maybe an inch of free play in the peddle then you can feel the peddle doing something, then they hit a wall. which is about how i remember the peddle being with 4 wheel drums when i was driving it 10 years ago.

edit:
iv moved on to random BS. vacuumed out the interior, "fixed" the glovebox door and dash pad around the glovebox door (the glovebox door actually works now). am now straighten out the license plate frame and putting the current registration sticker on the license plate. about to attempt replacing the center vent in the dash.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

alright, in a last minute very late afternoon/early evening thrash, iv now got the car on the ground. and have driven it back and fourth in the driveway in the backyard (roughly 8 feet). tomorrow i drive it!
schwim
Site Admin

That's fantastic news, man! Video please!