the never ending project. 71 super build

Yak about stuff. Just stuff.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

Re: the never ending project. 71 super build

stuck the 009 with points back in, and thanks to hooking the black wire from the fusebox up to the wrong side of the coil i smoked'em :roll: idk how i managed to screw that up. after correcting that little issue i threw the Pertronix in there. im assuming it works. still doesn't seem to have spark. it's almost like the coil's not getting power :?
but iv cranked it so much now that the battery is starting to die. so ill throw that on the charger tomorrow.
im now thinking there's nothing wrong with the Magnaspart and the issue is something else.
you never learn nothin by mistake if you're to careful
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

alright iv done some trouble shooting. iv got 12.7 volts at the power wire that goes to the coil. so the coils got power. based on the resistances im seeing in the coil i believe both coils iv tried are good and fully functional.
however, the spark plugs don't spark. so... im ether dealing with a non functional Pertronix in my 009 and a non functioning ignition module in the Magnaspark, or im going crazy. or there's something else wrong i haven't thought of yet. anyone got any ideas?

also my damn charge light is just out now. it never came on today no matter what i tried. and my gas gauge is reading over full when the tanks only got maybe 8 gallons in it. so there's that as well.
schwim
Site Admin

Coil plug wire, cap center button, rotor? That's what I can think of causing no spark at any plug when you've got a functional coil.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

that's just a list of parts between the coil and plugs :lol:
it hit me last night that i should have stuck a screwdriver in the coil wire and checked to see if spark jumped from the screwdriver to ground. so iv got that test to do. double check the coil.
Maddel

Super_Randy wrote: May 28th, 2024, 8:46 pm that's just a list of parts between the coil and plugs :lol:
it hit me last night that i should have stuck a screwdriver in the coil wire and checked to see if spark jumped from the screwdriver to ground. so iv got that test to do. double check the coil.
^ ^ ^ This!
If the coil is good and there's still no spark at any plug (or plug wire end) check the distributor cap to rotor connection.
Has the magna spark distributor cap center this little "carbon brush" thingy too?
May be it fell out??
Is the rotor in place??? :shock: :D
schwim
Site Admin

Super_Randy wrote: May 28th, 2024, 8:46 pm that's just a list of parts between the coil and plugs :lol:
Yes, that's sort of the only method of narrowing down "It works here but not over here".
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

Maddel wrote: May 29th, 2024, 12:32 am
^ ^ ^ This!
If the coil is good and there's still no spark at any plug (or plug wire end) check the distributor cap to rotor connection.
Has the magna spark distributor cap center this little "carbon brush" thingy too?
May be it fell out??
Is the rotor in place??? :shock: :D
yes the rotors in place. im not making that mistake a 4th time :lol: ...ok, i probably will at some point :roll:

cap and rotor should be fine, i hadn't messed with anything when it stopped working (it stopped working before i swapped over to the alternator) i hadn't fired it up in a while so i went out to let it run poorly for a few minutes and it wouldn't start. pulled the plugs and fount they were fouled. swapped those and it still didn't work. that's when i started messing around and found out it had no spark.
it's been my experience that caps and rotors don't go bad from siting for a few weeks.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

schwim wrote: May 29th, 2024, 2:16 pm
Yes, that's sort of the only method of narrowing down "It works here but not over here".
i wanted you to tell me exactly which one of those parts was bad so i can replace it and have it work. or give the recipe for some magic voodoo powder, duh :lol:
:P