the never ending project. 71 super build

Yak about stuff. Just stuff.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

Re: the never ending project. 71 super build

i was probing it with a multimeter and started getting different results, then started getting the same results.
checking between the red and black wires it's close to the same.
i forget what else i all tried to check. i think 1 is ground and it was the same on both, or close, i don't remember.
i tried just for S&G to see if it had resistance between the red and black wires and the sensor thing that what im assuming is a relocator wheel triggers, and was originally getting resistance. then that stopped. which is what i got the original to do when i was poking it with a multimeter before ordering the new one. idk if it's supposed to have resistance there or not. in any case, that sumbitch is going in the car at some point this weekend.
you never learn nothin by mistake if you're to careful.
bad decisions make good memories.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

alright, im in no fucking mood to deal with this bullshit today. every fucking thing i do comes back to fuck me sideways. im pissed to the point of throwing tools, throwing tools at the car, slamming the door, punching the car, and and kicking the shit out of the car. and all iv done is swap out an 009 for a hopefully functional Magnaspark 2 (but with the way today is going it wont work). got the battery on the charger, all that's left is to snap the spark plug wires on the plugs.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

well im still disgruntled AF and my right foot hurts from kicking the shit out of the car earlier. but it's got spark again and will start and semi try to run until it backfires out the carb. also, sense the breather is fully capped off on the oil fill neck it's pushing oil out of the dipstick tube. which is a little concerning. so im thinking breather, or at least put a filter on the barb on the alternator stand. hmmm... maybe run a line from the filler neck to air filter. idk. im pissed and want to know why it's backfiring out the carb. vacuum leaks should be fixed. could be lean i guess :? i know the timings not right but it would have to be pretty far off to pop out the carb that hard. idk, i can at least start it and with some gas peddle magic keep it idling until it backfires out the carb. idk, at least the damn thing has spark again.

could also be bad gas now that i think about it. it's been in there for just over a year now and CA gas sucks. mower will run it no problem. it still lights on fire... idk...
Maddel

Super_Randy wrote: June 29th, 2024, 2:38 pm... throwing tools at the car, slamming the door, punching the car, and and kicking the shit out of the car...
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Super_Randy wrote: June 29th, 2024, 8:42 pm... it's pushing oil out of the dipstick tube. which is a little concerning...
Well, these Bugs are sensitive cars... Be gentle! :lol:

Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

Maddel wrote: June 30th, 2024, 11:52 am :shock: :shock: :shock:
i have a violent, even blackout prone temper and a very low tolerance for bullshit. and when things don't fit like there supposed to, don't function like there supposed to, or just flat out don't cooperate, that's bullshit. oddly enough it was after i lost my shit and kicked the crap out of the drivers side front wheel and then rear bumper for good measure (which was about all the self control i could muster cause i was heading for the door) that's when things started cooperating and going together and working like they should. hell even the generator light worked briefly after that. :shock:
Last edited by Super_Randy on June 30th, 2024, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

ok, just checked the valves. had 3 that were tight. 1 that was way to tight. its possible that the intake valve on #2 was hanging open, or at least not seating all the way. that could account for the backfiring out the carb. batteries back on the charger cause according to the gauge i cranked it so much yesterday it went down to below 11 volts.

the sound of buying a car that's already done and sorted out sounds better by the day.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

ok, i tried to run it and it attempted to run. lightly backfired out the carb but nothing like it did before i gapped the valves. then just for S&G i threw a dump truck load of timing at it and it F'ing ran! idles at like 650, but it holds consistent and stays running. pretty sure the timing is still considerably off. and the carb just has the base starting point tune, but it ran and stopped backfiring. when i get some shade ill throwing a timing light on it. see what happens from there.

oh, and the damn alternator seems to be working. i didn't put a multimeter on it, but the light comes on when it's idling low and goes off when the RPM gets up over about 800. so... yeah im really scratching my ass on that one. volt gauge does jump around quite a bit though. sometimes its down at around 8v, and sometimes it jumps up to around 13v so...
Maddel

Super_Randy wrote: June 30th, 2024, 1:20 pmi have a violent, even blackout prone temper and a very low tolerance for bullshit.
Well...
That can give you a hard time in this day and age since almost everything you buy new nowadays is bullshit quality IMHO... :evil:
But on the other hand your rampage seemed to help getting the Bug up and running! ;)
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

you're not far off about quality. i can only think of a few parts iv ever installed that just went right on as they were supposed to and functioned like they were supposed to.
my OG pre EMPI Bugpack header. that went on so easy it confused me. i literally laid under the car looking at it wondering why it fit.
the Vintage Speed shifter. you can tell just by looking at it that it's a quality piece. when you handle it and start moving it around and checking it out you can tell it's made with good quality materials, and the tolerances are tight and everything is buttery smooth. and it bolted right in, and i had it adjusted in the matter of seconds.
TMI door panels. the little rubber things that go in the door that the panel clips slide into were kind of a PITA. i glued those in place and everything fell into place with no swear words used.
West Coast Metric rubber. it's always fit, lasted a long time, and not leaked.
quality is possible!
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

so i decided to throw poo a the wall and see what stuck and pulled the vacuum caps off the ports on the carb and when i pulled the cap off the big one smack dab front and center (between the throttle arm and choke) the idle went up 200rpm! :shock: :? i was then able to adjust the carb to idle smoothly at about 850rpm. it's not adjusted correctly but meh, close enough for testing purposes. so now im confused as all hell. iv always blocked those ports. iv always seen those ports blocked. then again iv never had a carb that seemed to care if they were plugged or not. plugged or unplugged it didn't make a difference on how the engine ran. so im currently off the map in uncharged territory here.
...and im out of carb cleaner...