Build: Zippy the Wonderbug

Yak about stuff. Just stuff.
schwim
Site Admin

Re: Build: Zippy the Wonderbug

I'm waiting on some tools and parts to come in the mail but I managed to install the fuel pump and install the hard line/connect to the carburetor.

While I'm waiting on the stuff, I'll start welding in some metal just so I can put the two halves back together.

Maddel

Nice progress Jason!

What happened to the brake pedal return spring?
schwim wrote: August 19th, 2024, 9:10 pmImage

schwim wrote: August 12th, 2024, 9:06 am... Virginia allows "antique" tags which don't require vehicle inspection. It's intended for cars that only drive rarely, like Sunday drives or to car shows...
Damn! Now I'm really envious!
Over here you need a special vehicle inspection to get a "historic" tag.
It's biyearly and the car needs to be in original factory condition.
If any only period correct aftermarket stuff is allowed.
Not to mention other mods like lowering or engine upgrades.
This sucks to the max.
Of course Herman doesn't qualify for such a tag...
schwim
Site Admin

Maddel wrote: August 21st, 2024, 9:28 amWhat happened to the brake pedal return spring?
I had moved it over to the clutch as I was having problems getting the brake pushrod connected to the pedal arm again but moved it over after the pic, or do you mean the coiled part? It's working well to return the brake arm but the way it's coiled so ugly, I thought for sure I put it together incorrectly.

Maddel wrote: August 21st, 2024, 9:28 am Damn! Now I'm really envious!
Over here you need a special vehicle inspection to get a "historic" tag.
It's biyearly and the car needs to be in original factory condition.
If any only period correct aftermarket stuff is allowed.
Not to mention other mods like lowering or engine upgrades.
This sucks to the max.
Of course Herman doesn't qualify for such a tag...
DIfferent states have different restrictions, some require an initial inspection, some still require annual inspections and some states don't inspect any cars(Florida, for example) and you just hope someone doesn't lose their brakes and drive their backyard creation over your child while they're crossing the street.

Here, in Virginia, it just seems to be if your car is 25 years old or older, you're eligible for the antique tag. Here in the rural farm area, if you have a farm, you can put a plastic tag on your vehicle that says "farm use" and drive it everywhere with no taxes, no inspections, no renewals, nothing. Those are usually the jankiest vehicles. Then you have "commercial fisherman" with their tags and the same lack of regulation as the farmers. You can spot them from a mile away though because their truck is almost always rotten from the salt water rust.
Super_Randy
Get off my lawn.

in CA we don't have vehicle inspections. but for vehicles newer than 1975 we do have smog testing. frankly i wish they would do away with the smog testing and start mechanical inspections. as it's pretty easy to fudge and get a tire fire to pass smog if you know how and where to take it. also new vehicles are exempt the first 7 years (which you're taxed for) then it gets tested every other year. people don't seem to keep cars more than 10 to 12 years and seeing something over 15 is getting rare. when you do it's usually a work truck.
and if you saw some of the vehicles i have to share the road with Maddel would probably shit himself with what he's used to :lol: bad wheel alignment, tires wobbling, bald tires, bungy cords and ratchet straps (hell sometimes just string) holding hoods and trunks shut. missing body panels, driving down the street so staggered i can see the lock in the door from behind the vehicle, broken windows, broken lights. non working lights (i was behind a small SUV the other day that had one working brake light). you could take a car from the demolition derby and drive it on the street here as long as what came out the tailpipe was compliant. :roll:
you never learn nothin by mistake if you're to careful.
bad decisions make good memories.